European Travel Information and Authorization System
Latest ETIAS News

Will Brexit make it difficult to travel outside of the UK?

Etias Visa Waiver
ETIAS Europe

To verify your passport hasn’t expired

A British passport cannot be ten years old when you enter the EU. Most European countries will require at least three months remaining on your passport before leaving for your destination. You may need to count any additional months in your passport that have been added after the standard 10-year deadline.

The country you visit will determine how much time you need to keep your passport. You can find the Foreign Office travel advice in the country you wish to visit. Also, see the entry requirements section.

Current advice from the passport office is that processing applications may take up to 10 weeks. If you need to renew your passport, make sure to apply promptly.

Get travel insurance that includes adequate healthcare coverage

Travel insurance should have sufficient healthcare coverage and cover any medical conditions or activities. We recommend that all travelers take out comprehensive travel insurance. ABTA can help you find the right type of travel insurance.

A European Health Insurance Card will still be valid until the expiry date. Cards are only good for five years. If you apply now, you will receive a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). More details here.

You should ensure you have all the necessary documents to drive in Europe

Your UK Blue Badge can be used to travel in certain EU countries, Liechtenstein and Norway, as well as Switzerland. You should check the specifics for each country to see what parking concessions are available. You can find more information here.

Driving permits

If you hold a paper license or your driving license was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, or Jersey, you might need an international driving permit. This allows you to drive in certain EU countries as well as Norway. These can be obtained from the Post Office. You don’t need an IDP if you have a car driving license to drive in the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, or Liechtenstein.

To take your pet overseas, get the required vaccines and a certificate

The EU and Northern Ireland will no longer accept your pet passport. You will need an Animal Health Certificate. You will also need to microchip your pet and vaccinate it against rabies. Tapeworm treatment will be required for pets traveling directly to Finland or Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Malta, or Norway.

You should consult your vet at least a month before you plan to take your pet overseas.

Examine the data roaming policy of your mobile phone company

Mobile data roaming rules have changed. You may be charged for using your phone abroad to make calls, send messages, or use the internet. Ask your mobile phone provider for details about their data roaming policies.

Check out the additional requirements for business travel

Business travelers visiting countries within the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein must meet specific other requirements.

You can travel on business for less than 90 days within 180 days, such as attending a business meeting or conference, without needing a visa. Check the entry requirements to determine if you require a visa or work permit if you plan to stay more than 180 days in a country.

You will need the appropriate documentation to transport goods within the EU. You must file a declaration if you plan to sell goods outside the EU.

You will need to declare if you have more than PS10,000 in cash.

You should also check whether your professional qualifications are recognized in the EU. Also, you need to know how to ensure employees have indemnity insurance. You can find more information here.

The UK Government has also provided advice to people who are planning on traveling to the EU.

There are other things you should know when traveling to Europe.

  • For short trips to Europe, a visa is not required if you’re on holiday. In any 180 days, you can stay up to 90 days.
  • You may be asked to show your return ticket at border control and proof that you have sufficient money for your stay.
  • Passport control may prevent you from using the EU or EEA lanes.
  • At entry and exit, your passport will be stamped. The new Entry/Exit System (EES), which will automate the process of processing travelers, is expected to be fully operational by 2025.
  • You can’t bring meat, milk, or products containing these items into Europe. You can make exceptions for powdered infant milk, baby food, and pet food if you need it for medical reasons.

ETIAS, the EU’s new visa waiver system, is expected to be in place by 2025. It is similar to the ESTA system for travel to the USA and will be in effect for three years. British passport holders planning to travel to the EU after it is introduced must apply online for an ETIAS.